• Samantha Brueggeman

The Kiruis | Since the Stove, Life Changed



BenefitsThe DesignFeaturesInstallationStories

The family of Kibwott and Chebet is one of those who has received the stove after our team met them at Nakuru General hospital burns ward.

“I feel much safer having this stove in the house, as I know the children cannot get burned on it”

says Teresa, their mum. And Teresa knows the value of house hold safety.

When he was only one, baby Kibwott crawled and fell into a lit fire, severely burning his arm. A few weeks later, whilst Teresa was looking after her son in the hospital, Chebet lost five fingers when she fell asleep close to the burning embers.

Since their accidents Kibwott and Chebet have shown the resilience typical of children, and they continue to go to school and play with their friends. But the affects that their injuries are having on their lives and their education is undeniable, as both were forced to miss months of school during their recovery.

In October 2016, Dr Stice will be travelling to Kenya to operate on Kibwott and Chebet. Kibwott will once again be able to move his arm freely, whilst Chebet will regain enough movement in her hand to write and play.

Receiving the stove upon their return from hospital has impacted the family’s life in many ways:

“I save a lot of money on firewood, because this stove uses about half what the old fire did” says Teresa; “the extra money is spent on the children’s’ medical care”.

And Teresa’s life has improved. Before receiving the Salama Stove, she thought that headaches and sore eyes were just a normal part of life, and was never concerned about them. Since giving up the three stone fire and cooking on the stove, Teresa has realized what an impact the smoke was having on her health, and how the Salama Stove has improved the life of her family as a whole.

DONATE NOW

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All